Sherlock. Much like one-name celebrities Cher, Beyonce or Madonna, say Sherlock to anyone almost anywhere in the world, and there’s immediate recognition.
Say the name Sherlock and they’ll immediately think of the meerschaum pipe-smoking fictional sleuth who has been intriguing audiences for more than 100 years.
And while TV audiences have been enjoying two recent small-screen interpretations of the Sherlock Holmes character, Curtain Call is getting ready to cast the role
of this world famous detective for a fall production of Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of The Suicide Club. (The local nonprofit theatre is also casting many
other roles in this late fall production.)
Auditions will be held at Curtain Call, The Sterling Farms Complex, 1349 Newfield Avenue, Stamford, on Monday and Tuesday evening, August 18 and 19, from 7:00pm to 10:00pm.
Performances will take place there in The Dressing Room Theatre from October 23 through November 15. This production will be directed by Richard Mancini of Stratford.
Besides Holmes, and of course, his famous sidekick, Dr. John Watson, these are many roles to be filled:
· Sherlock Holmes: The famous English detective who is sharp & deliberate. Male. Late 30's thru 50s
· Dr Watson: Man Friday to Sherlock Holmes. Slow to catch on albeit fiercely loyal. Male. Late 40's/50's.
· Prince Nikita Starloff: A young Russian prince. Handsome & regal. Male. Late 20's/30's.
· Christianne De Labegassier: Young French beauty & love interest to the prince. Female. Late 20's/30's.
· Club Secretary: Secretary of The Suicide Club. Charismatic, sauve & sexy. Female. Late 20's/30's.
· Mr. Williams: Member of the Suicide Club. Talkative fellow who can come across almost comical. Male. Late 20's/30's.
· Mr Richards: Member of the Suicide Club. Well groomed English gentleman. Male. Late 40'/50's.
· Mr. George: Member of the Suicide Club. Tall & imposing German. Male. 40's/50's.
· Mr. Henry: Member of the Suicide Club. Frail old man in a wheel chair. Male. Late 60's/70's.
· Mycroft Holmes: Elder brother of Sherlock Holmes & part of British intelligence. Very English. Male. Late 40's/50's.
· Inspector Micklewhite: An English inspector. Male. 20's/30's.
· Mrs Hudson: Landlady of Sherlock's residence. Motherly figure who complains quite a bit. Female. Late 50's/60's.
· Lucy O'Malley: A London streetwalker. Shabby with a medium frame. Female. Late 30's/40's.
· Roundy: A pharmacist. Unassuming and naive. Male/Female. Any age.
· Old Lady: A witness at a crime scene. Pretentious & a bit of a hag. Female 60's/70s.
· AC Crosse: A murder victim. No lines. Male. Any age.
· Magician's Assistant: A beautiful assistant to a magician. Classic getup; no lines. Female. 20's.
More information is available at www.curtaincallinc.com or by calling 203-329-8207. Curtain Call is the non-profit community-based theatre company in residence at The Sterling Farms Theatre Complex, 1349 Newfield Avenue in Stamford. Year-round productions and workshops are presented by and for area residents in The Kweskin Theatre and The Dressing Room Theatre. Curtain Call was voted Fairfield County's BEST LOCAL THEATRE GROUP 2005 through 2014 in the Annual Readers' Poll of The Fairfield County Weekly and has received similar BEST OF awards from Stamford Magazine and StamfordPlus magazine for 2008 through 2014. Curtain Call received The Governor’s Award for Excellence Culture and Tourism in 2011.