STAMFORD, CT - The 2017 First County Bank Richard E. Taber Citizenship Award application is now available online. High school seniors can see the information required and apply at www.firstcountybank.com/scholarship.
The Richard E. Taber Citizenship Award rewards high school seniors residing in lower Fairfield County towns of Stamford, Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, or Norwalk who are overall well-rounded citizens. Unlike many scholarships based on top academic achievement or athletic ability, this scholarship is weighted towards demonstrated leadership and caring for the community in which we live. The criteria for selection are best defined by the word, C.L.A.S.S. (Citizenship; Leadership; Academics; Service; Sportsmanship). Three $5,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school seniors in our community, but they must apply before the deadline of May 1, 2017. Each recipient will receive a personalized certificate; a check for $5,000 will be sent directly to the college of choice; a congratulatory advertisement with photo will appear in the local newspaper; and winners will be prominently displayed with a photo on the bank’s website. Decisions on scholarship recipients will be made the end of May.
The award was named in honor of Richard E. Taber (Dick) who retired in 2011 from First County Bank as Chairman and CEO, and initiated the First County Bank Foundation which he championed during his 40 years at First County Bank. “Dick’s legacy of community involvement is commemorated with these annual scholarships,” said Rey Giallongo, president of First County Bank Foundation, chairman and CEO of First County Bank. “As a mutual community bank and nonprofit foundation, we are proud to help civic-minded students start their college career and we recognize the importance of these scholarships to deserving high school seniors,” added Giallongo.
The recipient of this award must be a high school senior who has been accepted to an accredited two- or four-year college or university. The recipient will be selected without regard to race, sex, religion or creed. Each candidate must:
· Be a current resident of Stamford, Greenwich, Norwalk, Darien, New Canaan or Westport
· Hold a “B” average or higher during their junior and senior years in high school and be able to provide an admission acceptance document from a two- or four-year college or university
· Be involved in the community
· Provide reference letters from two individuals not related to the candidate. We prefer one letter from each of the following:
o High school teacher or counselor
o Community leader/ volunteer program counselor
· Provide an official high school transcript
· Complete a brief essay (not to exceed 1,000 words) describing how the candidate best fits into the definition of “C.L.A.S.S.” (Citizenship; Leadership; Academics; Service; Sportsmanship)
· Complete the online application, available at www.firstcountybank.com/scholarship
Employees and directors of First County Bank and their affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies and their respective immediate families (spouse, children, parents and in-laws) are not eligible to apply for the Richard E. Taber Citizenship Award.
First County Bank Foundation officers will review the applications and make a recommendation to the Foundation’s board of directors who will select the Richard E. Taber Citizenship Award recipients. All applicants will be notified by the end of May.