Magazine
Subscribe
Editorial
Media Kit
Talk to us

News Mar 14, 2010 - 2:28 PM


Governor Rell, agency chiefs monitoring course of wind & rain storm battering state

By Governor Rell's office





Font size: Small Big
Email this article
 Printer friendly page
Share this article:
facebook del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl
Buy the "As seen on" mug
Governor M. Jodi Rell and the top officials of several key state agencies are monitoring the course of a storm that brought heavy rain and unusually powerful winds to Connecticut today, leaving about 88,000 people without power. Governor Rell activated the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at the William A. O'Neill Armory in Hartford on Saturday night.

"The bulk of the problems seem to be in the southwest part of the state and related to the high winds - mostly downed tree limbs, which have causes numerous power outages and led to many street closures," Governor Rell said. "We are down from a high of more than 90,000 customer outages this morning. The utilities are doing all they can and are getting assistance from out of state - but they still face a monumental task.

"I held a conference call earlier this morning with the leaders of the Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security, Department of Transportation, Connecticut State Police and Connecticut National Guard," the Governor said. "I have also spoken with the mayors of Greenwich and Stamford to let them know that we are here for anything they need.

"The EOC will remain open as we continue to monitor the effects of this storm," Governor Rell said. "We are also fortunate in that this is a 'drill weekend' for our National Guard, so - in a sense - they are already mobilized if we need to put them to work. The DOT has already been on the job day and night, picking up the debris and helping to keep the roads open. I am also asking motorists in the Stamford, Norwalk and Greenwich areas to stay off the roads if possible and to absolutely avoid areas where trees are down and power is out.

"In the coming days my Administration will work with the affected cities and towns to gather the information needed to determine whether there is any possibility some the expenses incurred in responding to the storm can be reimbursed through the Federal Emergency Management Agency."




© Copyright by StamfordPlus.com. Some articles and pictures posted on our website, as indicated by their bylines, were submitted as press releases and do not necessarily reflect the position and opinion of StamfordPlus.com, Stamford Plus magazine, Canaiden LLC or any of its associated entities. Articles may have been edited for brevity and grammar.




Possibly related or similar articles:
Pete Rose to return as Bluefish manager for "Ken Shepard Day" - Aug 29, 2014 - 8:19:50 AM
Red Cross and VolunteerSquare Offer Disaster Boot Camp on September 27 - Aug 27, 2014 - 12:51:06 AM
Long Time Bluefish Fan to Get a Bluefish Tattoo during August 7 Game - Aug 5, 2014 - 7:59:48 AM
DEEP Receives $752,822 Grant from NOAA - Jul 22, 2014 - 5:32:04 AM
Darien Artist Jan Dilenschneider Reveals the Depth of Expression in Second Paris Exhibition - Jun 24, 2014 - 2:52:51 AM





Note: We reserve the right to delete posts at any time if we decide that they are offensive or distasteful.
CURRENT HEADLINES:
Stamford Nonprofit COO Presents at The Economist’s Annual Health Care Forum in Boston
Multi-Million Capital Improvement Program at Stamford’s 700 Canal Street completed
Rep. Elizabeth Esty Introduces Legislation to Prevent Child Nicotine Poisoning
Norwalk Hospital Honors McGraw Family for $10 Million Gift
ABRAZOS Screening with Director Luis Argueta at The Avon Theater


Top of Page










StamfordPlus.com is part of the Canaiden Online Media Network.
Stamford Plus Online | Norwalk Plus Online | Canaiden.com | Best of Norwalk | Best of Stamford | Hauterfly Magazine | SummerCampPlus.com

Copyright ©2005-2010 Canaiden,LLC All Rights Reserved.