Media Kit
Talk to us

News : Sports : Hockey Feb 23, 2014 - 8:24:28 PM

Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1

By Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Font size: Small Big
Email this article
 Printer friendly page
Share this article:
facebook Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl
Buy the "As seen on" mug
BRIDGEPORT, CT - Kenny Reiter made 40 saves to help lead the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to a 2-1 victory over the Providence Bruins Sunday afternoon. The lone goal Reiter allowed came just 2:34 into the game, but Reiter was perfect from then on. The Sound Tigers goals also came in the first period, from Anders Lee and Joel Broda. With the win, the Sound Tigers extended their season-high winning streak to six games.

The Bruins opened the scoring on the first power play of the game, less than three minutes into the game. Tommy Cross skated into the Sound Tigers zone on the left wing and threw the puck on net. Reiter got his stick on it, but deflected it right back into the slot. Justin Florek was crashing the net, and was able to power it home to give Providence the 1-0 lead.

In the closing minutes of the first period, Lee scored his team-leading 22nd goal of the season. After getting the chip from Mike Halmo, Lee drove to the net on his backhand, then deked to his forehand to slip it through the five hole of Malcom Subban. That tied the score at one, but Broda’s goal 26 seconds later gave the Sound Tigers the lead.

Broda had the puck in the faceoff circle before looking to shoot. He fanned on the puck somewhat, and it trickled towards the slot. However, it redirected off of a Bruins defenseman and past Subban for the goal. The goal is Broda’s second in three games as a Sound Tigers and third overall in the AHL this season.

Reiter in particular was spectacular in the first period, and stopped 20 of 21 Bruins shots. He went relatively untested in the second, however, only facing four shots from Providence. The Sound Tigers put eight on net against Malcom Subban, but he turned aside all he faced, as well.

The third period was another frantic one for the Sound Tigers, who were outshot in the final 10 minutes by a 16-3 margin. Reiter once again stood on his head when asked to, and shut the door each time. The final flurry came with 30 seconds to play, when Joe Finley was called for a boarding penalty. The Bruins pulled Subban to make it a 6-on-4 advantage, but Reiter withstood the barrage and helped his team hang on to a 2-1 victory.

The Sound Tigers will face the Bruins once again Friday at Dunkin’ Donuts Center before returning home to take on the Worcester Sharks Saturday night and the Utica Comets Sunday afternoon.

© Copyright by Some articles and pictures posted on our website, as indicated by their bylines, were submitted as press releases and do not necessarily reflect the position and opinion of, Stamford Plus magazine, Canaiden LLC or any of its associated entities. Articles may have been edited for brevity and grammar. Photos without a credit line are "contributed photos".

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Note: We reserve the right to delete posts at any time if we decide that they are offensive or distasteful.
"Party For A Purpose" Raises $4500 for Children in Puerto Rico
Sacred Heart University to introduce Master's in strategic communication and public relations
Spring Benefit brings luck to Wilton Library on March 17
Treetops CMS Opens Spring Concert Series with Heath Quartet from London
Fairfield Rotary’s Celebrity Luncheon to Feature Noted Sportscaster Dan Patrick

Top of Page
 is part of the Canaiden Online Media Network.
Stamford Plus Online | Norwalk Plus Online | | Best of Norwalk | Best of Stamford | Hauterfly Magazine |

Copyright ©2005-2010 Canaiden,LLC All Rights Reserved.